India Literacy Project supporting SNEHA for a Project with the Title-‘Namma Shale Project‘-Community Mobilisation for Enrolment, Retention and Quality Education in Anganawadi Centers and in Government Schools for 3-18 years children. Project covers 229 AWCs, 93 Primary schools, 57 Higher Primary schools, 17 TGT schools and 39 High schools from 165 villages spread in 22 Grama Panchayaths in Jagalur Taluk in Davangere district.
Multi-Dimensional Learning Space (MDLS) is a during-school and after-school program that provides multi-dimensional learning opportunities for school children to explore, experiment, discover, and learn in multiple ways. MDLS improves learning competencies and equips students with academic and life-skills. MDLS also provides students exposure to a wide variety of areas beyond the school curriculum. MDLS Program covers Twelve TGT schools in Jagalur block in Davangere District.
The concept of Schools as multi-dimensional learning spaces is based on the foundation that
- Equal importance should be given to all aspects of the curriculum
- Learning is not restricted to a curriculum. It should extend to help holistic and balanced development of a child
- One learning style doesn’t work for all. Learning should involve visual, auditory and experiential methods
- Learning does not stop at school and it can happen anywhere and any time
The vision of Schools as Multi-Dimensional learning space is to offer a wide variety of academic inputs and non-academic exposure to children from an early age so that they do well not only in studies, but also learn about themselves, discover their interests and abilities so that they can take ownership of their lives with awareness and with confidence. Through this we hope to bring about individuals who are capable, confident, inquisitive and value aware individuals who have the potential to become change agents in the society.
Key Aspects of MDLS
- A smart/experiential classroom
- Low cost Science/Maths lab and models for social science
- Computer skills/Exposure
- Improve reading levels though a unique Library Program
- Teacher training, regular follow up and supporting infrastructure to enable teachers
- Inter-school competitions to provide a platform for hands on projects and cross school learning
- Exposure and counselling towards local economies and careers outside the local economies